Friday, February 20, 2009

Kangaroo Dream

Remember the last time you had a dream about happy furry friendly animals?
This post is about the last time Beth had such a dream.

During our drive from Newcastle airport to the Hunter Valley (wine country),
we saw 4 or 5 wild kangaroos. I was most surprised since I really didn't
expect we'd see them wild--I thought it was all Australian travel legend,
you know, kangaroos roaming wild, kangaroos boxing, mother kangaroos
carrying their little baby kangaroos around in a built-in pouch. Beth was
very excited by these side-of-the-road wild kangaroos. She squeaked more
than once.

Imagine my surprise when I peeked out at the weather the next morning to
discover a mob of kangaroos having breakfast just outside of the window!

"Beth, you have to look. Come look at this, you won't believe it!" She was
asleep, but I knew she'd love to see them. She stumbled over to the window,
wiping the sleep from her eyes. I expected more squeals, hopping up and
down, and more; but, instead, a grumbly face. She looked out the window,
crawled back into bed, curled up, pouting. "You woke me up from the
greatest dream just now", she said. "I was right in the middle of it. Out
of the window were kangaroos, koalas, wallabies, a donkey, and a herd of
horses. The koala was riding around on the back of the kangaroo. They were
all so happy. And all that's really out there are a few kangaroos."

So even though I woke her up to a mob of wild kangaroos lounging just
outside our guesthouse window, it was a bit of a disappointment when
compared to her expectations.

Maybe you had to be there. It really was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment