Monday, February 16, 2009

Bats in Cairns

























Yes, I already wrote about the bats. They deserve a photo. Just imagine yourself in a tropical, seaside town walking down the sidewalk as a slight breeze blows through your hair as dusk begins to turn into sunset. A horrific screaming/cackling noise begins, the trees above begin to shudder and the sky is filled with furry, swooping bats as they leave their perch to hunt for dinner.

Amazement quickly turned to concern. Beth: 'What sort of diseases are present here as a result of this huge bat population? Are they contagious?' Dave: 'I hope this Kangaroo Bush Hat is bat-dung proof.'

I still don't have the answer to my question, but Dave had the opportunity to discover that his kangaroo bush hat effectively protects his head from bat dung! Perhaps you'll have the honor of seeing evidence of the bat dung upon our return (since he has kept the remnants on his hat...)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that Peter Taylor, our PhD bat expert friend in South Africa, could answer your questions. :-) He told us that there are more bats than any other mammals on earth. Amazing that we don't see more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet - I only got to see dead ones in my mammalogy class - but i'm going bat netting in a couple weeks and will say hello to your friend's cousins for you! :)
    - Deb (can't figure out how to post under my own name...)

    ReplyDelete